In "House for the Homeless," Ivana Nikolic uses positioning in a very different manner than Cintron does in Angel’s Town. Both authors provide both their fixed and subjective positions at the beginning of their writings, but that is where the similarities end. Cintron provides the reader with a great deal of background information in the first chapter of Angel’s Town, but then provides very little throughout the chapter titled “A Boy and His Wall.” Nikolic provides some background information at the beginning, but then references her experiences throughout the ethnography, especially in areas where she states her conclusions. An example of this can be seen on page 8, where she states, “I have a great deal of respect for people who have a goal in their lives … That is what kept me going as a refugee.” I find this style to be much easier to follow and more transparent for the reader.
Question:
Which method of revealing fixed and subjective positioning do you find to be more practical: Providing all of the needed background information at the start, or providing some at the beginning and revealing more later as it becomes relevant to the writing?
I think providing some information at the beginning and then revealing relevant experiences later in the analysis is more practical and effective. It is easier for the reader to see connections between particular claims and the author's experiences. It allows the reader to understand why the author might perceive something in a certain way and to identify possible biases without needing to refer back to earlier textual moments. In addition, the author becomes more credible and trustworthy because the reader sees that the author is not hiding any of his or her subjectivity. I think Ivana did a good job of utilizing this method in "House for the Homeless."
ReplyDeleteI think disclosing some information at the beginning is necessary, but as an author I also believe it benefits you to keep certain information undisclosed. In my opinion, what it really boils down to is disclosing enough information to educate your reader to the point that they can understand what your claim is. For example, in Cintron's chapter excerpt from Angels' Town, I found it hard to decipher what his argument was, due to the fact that I didn't know enough about his fixed and subjective positioning.
ReplyDeleteI find it is necessary to disclose some positioning information at the start of an ethnography. This helps set the scene for the reader, and allows them to recognize any incredibly significant characteristics about the other that may skew the objectivity of the writing. After that point, I think it is most effective for the author to provide positioning information later it the writing. Using this strategy allows the reader to remain objective and not immediately glorify or diminish the author's credibility.
ReplyDelete