Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Field Working and Educational Communities

A) Defining education is not a simple task. If the most common form of education were considered, a classroom, then the definition could be simplified to the process of acquiring knowledge. In the scope of learning a sport, education could be defined as the process of acquiring a skill. In a religious setting, education could be defined as the process of developing a life’s philosophy. To create a reasonable definition for education, one needs to analyze the purpose of education. Is the purpose to education to develop a body of knowledge? Set of skills? Philosophy of living? I believe at its root education seeks to help us better manage the complicated world we live in. I defined education as the continuous process of growth and development utilized for managing life and pursuing happiness.

Groups I am involved with include personal guitar lessons, Goods 4 Good, and Trinity Boxing Gym. From involvement in these organizations I have indirectly learned valuable life lessons. I have started to develop a curiosity in Buddhism, so for my field study I would like to look at a Buddhism organization or community in Madison.

B) Fieldworking is the process of studying a culture and the individuals that make up the culture. This is done through observing, interviewing, listening, and talking to members of a culture in their natural setting. Ethnography is the written account resulting from a fieldwork.

C) Is it possible to ever fully remove a bias from a fieldwork? How can understanding this impact the way one approaches fieldwork?

1 comment:

  1. I think that this could depend on the longevity of fieldwork you partake in. For example, if you study a culture for a year or longer and start to understand that culture a little better, you could, consequently, remove any biases you may have had about that particular culture. I don't know if this is the same with others, but as I learn more about something, I tend to appreciate it more. Because I learn to appreciate it more, I feel like any biases I possess could go away.

    ReplyDelete