A) Education is gaining knowledge, experience and skills not
previously held. It can be formal,
like in classes, internships or any kind of training. This is what most people think about when they think of
education, however education is not just happening in formal settings, it is
happening all the time. Anytime
you learn something new from a friend or a complete stranger you are gaining
knowledge and therefore being educated.
It happens to everyone everyday and can be in the most unexpected
places. Just think about the
saying “you learn something new everyday”. It goes to show that people are constantly learning.
I am involved with the Sports Business Club, the accounting
fraternity Beta Alpha Psi, and I work at the Union South restaurants. They all help to educate me in
different ways. Just gaining the
new experiences with them is a part of that process. For example, in Beta Alpha Psi I learn about possible career
paths I could take with an accounting degree.
B) Fieldworking is going into a culture or subculture and doing
research by observing it and participating in it. Ethnography is writing about your experience and your
research.
C) What do you think is harder when doing fieldwork,
actively participating in the culture, our observing the culture without bias?
I have done this project before in my Anthro class and the hardest part for me was participating in the culture. I felt awkward doing something everyone else knew how to do because I was screwing it up. I also felt weird asking questions because some people would look at me like I just asked the stupidest question they ever heard. However, there were a few people that were very helpful and considerate.
ReplyDelete