Monday, October 31, 2011

response of "House For The Homeless"


I like the writing style of the Rick’s article “House For The Homeless” better than Cintron’s report “Struggle and the Tools.” This is because Cintron tries to emotionally separate himself from the members of the group he was observing despite their common background and ethnicity. This procedure makes me feel that Cintron has eliminated personal bigotry and is very objective in his arguments. On the other hand, Rick definitely uses more emotional appeals to express her subjective opinions. It is very obvious that she feels deeply for the homeless people and she uses the homeless peoples’ stories to remind herself and the audience of their woes. Moreover, Most people usually think homeless people deserve to be homeless because they are not really willing to work and most of them are addictive to drugs and alcohol. But In Rick’s paper, Rick collects homeless people’s stories and explains how their stories change her opinions about the truth of homeless people.

Question: I feel Rick is being very subjective in her article. On the one hand, we should be objective while we analyze the data. On the other hand, I feel Rick’s emotional writing has more impact on us. Do you think the emotional writing is necessary to show the writer’s interpretation?   

1 comment:

  1. This is a question I have definitely been struggling with myself. Personally, I think it's best to keep emotions out of writing because emotions just create a more biased tone. However in some cases, emotional writing seems to strengthen the writing (like in the background/introduction chapter of Angel's Town), where in other cases (Ivana's, in my opinion) seem redundant.

    ReplyDelete