During my visits, I noticed both tutors and tutees talked to each other directly in scientific terms. I wonder how much the two parties understand this specific language and how well they use the vocabulary to convey complex ideas. I listened to their conversation and picked out some misunderstanding about certain concepts, but this is just normal misconceptions in the learning process. Most of the time, the tutee were inured to this type of talking -- they accepted the term regardless. On the other hand, the tutor made effort to show the tutee how to apply the term both in conveying thoughts and in solving problems. This reminded me of Friere's critique on the banking methods and Derek's justification of the same method -- the use of such approach in science teaching is most efficient.
In the light of this, I paid more attention to the daily language they used and there was no indication of the power hierarchy implied by Friere. The tutor and the students were equal and the student challenged the tutor whenever he or she did not agree on the topic. (You may argue that because they are both students. Upon that, I may use the example of writing center to demonstrate the equality, since the writing fellow is a representative of a higher level.) Based on that, I propose that there exist a "personalized" banking method and information transition is important and inevitable in lower level learning, namely the knowledge accumulation stage. The tutor switched his teaching style -- by drawing diagrams, using models or reading the text with the students, etc. -- to suit the students' need. This would reexamine the value of the banking method.
Further research would be on conceptual understanding in chemistry education. Both the tutor and the tutees mentioned it helped if they understand the readings before doing homework. So I would like to look into it and see what I would find. There may be new ideas I have never thought of or heard about before.
Question: I worry that I may overlook something in technical talking. What are the other aspects you would suggest me to pay more attention to? How about other aspects on educational communication? Or merely language and daily communication? Thanks.
No comments:
Post a Comment