Monday, November 14, 2011

Ethnography Plan

I will be focusing on organization and how it influences education at my ethnography site at firefighter station 1. There are a few examples I will be able to use in my ethnography paper. Some patterns I observe at the site are fire fighters wearing uniforms. Everything in the station is pretty much spotless. For example, the kitchen is immaculate, the bedrooms are tidy, the truck compartments are neatly organized. This makes their jobs a little easier when they are called upon to help others. Organization also serves as a valuable form of communication. For example, communication takes place daily through organization and structure at the station. There are many examples I can give that support this observation. Since Dewey strongly focuses on communication as being an essential component to education, I will be able to relate to his article. I can also relate this topic to the Wisconsin Idea, because working in the fire service involves giving back to the community in a number of ways. Firefighters travel around to local schools for fire safety month and teach others about fire safety and what it's all about. My plan is to use examples such as these to show how organization contributes to learning. I would like to do some more secondary research regarding this topic to see if I can find any further information on how organization is used in education.

Question: This might be a stretch, but I think my claim is going to be something along the lines of: organization is an essential tool that, in some way or another, serves as an essential tool and is used in all forms of education (for example, from elementary to college). Organization is seen when considering how different classes are required to fulfill a major, or how students are separated into different grade levels in high school (9-12). My question for you guys is, is there any situation that you can think of where organization is not a component used within education?

No comments:

Post a Comment