For my Unit 1 assignment, I am considering using handouts and lab manual figures from my comparative anatomy class here at the UW. (For those who don't know what 'comparative' anatomy is, it is the study of anatomical structures in species throughout the course of evolution) I think this class encompasses several of the educational theories we have studied nso far, as it required us to simply memorize hundreds of anatomical terms throughout the course of one semester, but it also allowed us to experience and visualize these structures firsthand through independent animal dissections. Drawing on the comparison/contrast between these two styles of learning and which one worked best for me will be a major component of my analysis.
Furthermore, I am currently an undergraduate TA for this year's class so I think that will allow me to look at the structure of learning from a teachers perspective. The lead graduate TA has made several claims in the past about how this class has successfully prepared countless students for graduate school, med school, dental school, etc..., so I am considering interviewing him to gather his insight on why he thinks this class is so valuable for post-grad studies. Please, let me know what you guys think!
This sounds like a great idea, especially because you are currently a TA for the course. Maybe you will think of new ways to help the current students learn the material! In your paper you should have some sort of organized comparison between the different methods of learning in a class that requires a great deal of memorization.
ReplyDeleteI think that this is a very good idea. I like how you can tie in multiple things that we have talked about with this topic. (i.e. the two examples you give of the styles of learning). I also like the fact that you mention you are a TA for this year's class. I think that's pretty cool because you can really relate to your learning experience's and then use those experiences to teach others in the same ways that you were taught. I also like the fact that you considered doing an interview to gather his insight. Great choice.
ReplyDelete