Monday, September 26, 2011
Unit 1 Artifacts
To find potential artifacts to analyze for the Unit 1 assignment, my mom helped me locate a box at home that contains several artifacts from my early education, including report cards from kindergarten through high school. I’m considering using two or three of the artifacts I found in this box. One is a strange poem that I wrote for an assignment in 5th grade. The other artifacts would probably include a report card and standardized test results from the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills. I think it would be interesting to contrast the creative aspects of early education with the tendency to focus on academic achievement. The poem would be representative of the ways in which education tries to enable students to think creatively about the world and to be able to express how they understand their experiences, and I think I could use ideas from Freire, Dewey, and Cronon to explore this further. I would use the report card and/or standardized test results as an opportunity to reflect on how the educational system functions in evaluating students, sometimes to the detriment of true learning. I think Freire’s discussion of oppression and Cronon’s thoughts on liberal education might come into play here as well. Other possible artifacts I found include photographs, science projects, and other assignments from my youth. If anyone has any thoughts on these potential artifacts or the ones I described, I would appreciate your input!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think the poem, report card and test scores would tie in well together. Like you said, the poem could be representative of how different education was then and now. I think if Dewey or Freire saw how they assess on those standardized tests we all took, they might have a heart attack because it goes against a lot of what they were saying was important to education. I think this is a really good idea to start from.
ReplyDeleteI agree Caleb. The poem is an artifact that would definitely reflect some of your creativeness from your youth. And the report card and test scores would definitely tie in well together. I think it would make for an interesting paper. So I say go for it!
ReplyDelete