Monday, September 26, 2011

Unit 1 topic

For my paper topic, I'm torn between two separate topics, which would use artifacts from my childhood educational experiences. One of the topics relates to a "gifted and talented" program I was placed in during my third grade year. Like Young's speech class, I was separated from other students for one hour every week and met with a woman (forgot her name) to talk and perform question sets/games. Looking back, the experience was actually quite bizarre because I played games like chess and solved algebra problems, which were disguised by ?'s instead of x's. Eventually, I was "invited" to participate in the "gifted and talented" program, but instead of meeting once a week I would have transferred schools and been taught with other "gifted" students. My mom refused to send me, but I'm sure we still have all of the documents from it. The other topic that I'm interested in researching is a faith formation program I was involved in for 10 years. I think these classes played an influential role in the development of communicative skills and the development of abstract thinking. With this topic, I also have years of documents and artifacts that I could look through.

1 comment:

  1. I actually participated in a similar talented and gifted program in elementary school. From what I remember, meeting for one hour per week really stimulated my interest in school and gave me the motivation to challenge myself. Without programs like this, I found it hard to stay focused and motivated on school. I think you could tie in ideas from Freire and argue (or disagree with) that these classes suggest a more creative and interactive approach to learning, as opposed to the traditional banking method. Additionally, I think it would be interesting for you to explore how your mom influenced your education as a child. Say, for example, if she didn't urge you not to go to the advanced academy, your life could be way different nowadays...

    ReplyDelete