Monday, September 26, 2011

Artifact Idea

This is a preliminary thought.

I plan to use the materials I collected in a summer session to reflect my education experience in UW – Madison, more importantly, what I make out of it by thinking of it in another culture. These materials may include maps, catalogs, course syllabi, essay assignments, blog/diary/journal excerpts and random notes. I may connect these objects with Cronon’s theory, and concentrate on individual value realization.

On the other hand, I may write about a European history class I took here in Madison. It dealt with the intellectual thoughts and reflections after the Second World War and made me question a lot about the stuff we did in education so far. The objects may include final papers, drafts, and book excerpts. But it would connect to Cronon again most likely.

1 comment:

  1. I like the second idea. You can talk about how Germany has a different 'history' than we do and how Japan has a different 'history' than Germany does. It is very interesting to see how winners and losers have different versions of an event. You can use the rhetorical appeals to comment on the different versions. In addition, you can use the papers to discuss how the version you learned has affected your thinking (aka how bias in education can shape culture).

    ReplyDelete